Our world, it seems, gets busier and busier by the hour. Everybody is always running about to make deadlines, to get to work on time, to run errands. Each one of us, it seems, has always something important to do.
The world doesn’t seem to have enough time for hobbies and extracurricular activities anymore.
But it only seems that way. The fact of the matter is people do find time to do the things that they love and enjoy, they do find the time to read a book or knit or play the piano. People find time to go swimming or go dancing. Many people even find time to collect things like stamps, coins, and comic books.
Collecting is the one thing that many people have in common. Everybody likes collecting stuff, from stuff animals to cigarette lighters, even notebooks.
Comic books are probably one of the top things that people like to collect. There are over a million people all over the world who collect comic books and they invest a lot of money in them.
The first ever comic strip was published in two newspapers in 1895. The strip was about a yellow kid from Hogan’s Alley. It was called The Yellow Kid and was drawn by Richard F. Outcault. Since then, people have been reading and following stories in the comics.
A comic book is basically a magazine or a book made up of comic strips. The first comic book was published in 1932. It wasn’t until 1960, however, when comic books started become very popular and in demand. Stan Lee, the former president of Marvel Comics, was one of the pioneers in the American comic book industry.
The collection of comic book started gradually when the market value for the early comic books increased. People started selling and collecting the early comic books and those rare ones. Some people, however, collected them for fun.
Comic book collection is like an art unto itself, just like any other collecting hobby. There are a number of things that one needs to consider when collecting them, whether they are doing it for profit or they are doing it for fun.
Here are a few points to consider:
- When starting a collection of these books, pick a certain comic book series that you like and start with that first. The first book in your collection will define the type of books you will be adding to your collection in the future. DC and Marvel comic books are the most popular and favourites among comic book collectors because of their stories and their characters like the X-Men, Batman, Superman, and Spiderman are known all over the world, even those who aren’t fans. DC and Marvel are also the most well-known comic publishers in the world.
- Do not just stick to one comic book series or title. There are a lot of great comics out there and they are worth collecting. Explore the comic book world.
- Look out for titles or series that are uncommon to the public. If the quality is good and the story is great, that title could turn out to be sought after and become high-priced later on.
- Sometimes, publishers print different covers for the same issue. Collect those.
- First editions, first issues, and first appearances (of certain characters) are of high value amongst collectors. If you find any of these, make sure to buy them.
- Comic book conventions and gatherings like the Comic Con are held all the time for comic book fans and collectors. People go there to sell their collectibles and guaranteed, you will find something that is rare and worth collecting. Comic book creators and writers sometimes make appearances as well. If you could get one of the well-known ones to sign a first edition or a first appearance, it could add to the value of the book. Sometimes, garage sales, flea markets, and swap meets have vendors who have tons of comic books for sale. You may find a rare one in those, as well. You can also purchase comic books online. Places like eBay have sellers who may have some issues that you want to add to your collection.
- Do trading with other collectors. If you have two copies of the same issue, you can trade it for an issue that you don’t have.
- The condition of a comic book highly affects its value. A lot of comic book collectors put a high value on a comic book with mint condition. To protect your books, especially the rare ones and high-valued ones, use Mylar sleeves that you can buy anywhere, including from a comic book store. Also get boxes so you can stack them together and keep them safe. Some collectors would even go to the length of framing their most valuable books.
Comic books have become less popular in the mainstream culture since 1990. Because of the lesser demand, publishers have lessened the number of prints per issue. As a result, collectors are more protective and possessive of their collections and the books of high value are becoming more expensive.
The big publishers sometimes produce reprints of the famous series like Superman and Captain America. These reprints are limited and sought after by collectors.